Paleo Root Vegetables
These were a big hit with everyone! I would have added in a few shallots to mix up the flavors a bit but we used parsnips, turnips and butternut squash (yeah, I know, not really a root but it added a different color and flavor to the dish).
- 3 lbs assorted root vegetables, peeled and diced
- 1 c apple cider (no added sugar)
- 3 tbsp Ghee or butter, melted
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix together cider, 2 Tbsp coconut butter, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add root vegetables, mixing until coated.
- Transfer to a baking dish
- Bake 20 minutes, uncover and stir vegetables. Leave uncovered and continue cooking, stirring every 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender – about 1 hour more.
- While the vegetables are cooking, place the nuts in a cast iron skillet and cook over low heat, stirring frequently to avoid scorching walnuts.
- Remove from heat and add Ghee or butter, cinnamon and, if desired, a pinch of salt.
- Stir until walnuts are coated.
- Spread on a plate or cookie sheet to allow walnuts to cool slightly.
- When vegetables are finished, transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with the cinnamon nuts.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.